Start-up Visa Endorsement

Start-Up Visa Endorsement

A Start-Up Visa Endorsement is an essential component of a Start-Up Visa.

In this article, we will define what a Start-Up Visa Endorsement is, as well as explain the key facts surrounding this topic.

Read similar content from us

To read more content like this, click here to read our blog articles and helpful web pages on:

What is a Start-Up Visa?

A Start-Up Visa is for talented non-British individuals who wish to come to the UK to establish an innovative new business for the first time.

Your business idea needs to be innovative, viable and scalable, bringing something new to the UK market.

For example, an innovative business idea could be a brand-new product, a brand-new service, or an original, new approach to an existing product or service.

The visa is for entry-level entrepreneurs, so there is no requirement to have already secured investment funding to start the business.

You must be able to show that your business idea is:

  • a new idea – you cannot join a business that is already trading.
  • innovative – you must have an original business idea which is different from anything else on the market.
  • viable – it has the potential for growth.

While on a Start-Up Visa, you are allowed to work for another company alongside your own business.

What is a Start-Up Visa Endorsement?

When you apply for a Start-Up Visa, you must have an endorsement for your business plan, by an approved body. They will assess your business plan and give you the endorsement if they are satisfied that your business is innovative, viable and scalable.

To obtain an endorsement, you must contact an approved endorsing body and follow the Start-Up Visa Endorsement process.

You may find it useful to choose an endorsing body in the industry your business is in; for instance, there are endorsing bodies that work specifically in the fields of technology, healthcare, energy, food, fashion, and so on.

Click here to view the list of approved Endorsing Bodies in the UK.

Start-Up Visa Endorsement
Start-Up Visa Endorsement

What happens if my Start-Up Visa Endorsement is withdrawn?

Your visa may be cut short. If you want to stay longer in the UK, you must re-apply with a new endorsement before your current visa expires.

You can only stay in the UK for a total of 2 years, even if you are granted a new visa with a new endorsement.

What are the requirements to apply for a Start-Up Visa?

You do not have to be a graduate to apply for a Start-Up Visa. To qualify, you must:

  • Be over 18 years old.
  • Have a genuine, original idea for your start-up business.
  • Have a realistic and achievable business plan.
  • Have an endorsement for your business by an authorised body (which must be stamped within the last 3 months of the date of your application).
  • Have enough funds to support yourself independently while living in the UK.
  • Provide evidence of your English language skills.
  • Show how your business can contribute to the UK market, e.g. by potentially creating jobs.

How do you apply for a Start-Up Visa?

You submit your application online via the UK Government’s webpage.

The Home Office will assess your visa application, to check that your business idea meets the big three categories: innovationviability, and scalability.

The Home Office then decides whether they are satisfied that your business plan meets the criteria. They can then approve or reject your application, or request more information from you, to help make their decision.

Once you have submitted your application, you will usually hear back within 3 weeks if you are outside the UK, or within 8 weeks if you are inside the UK.

You can ask to cancel your application. You will only get your fee refunded if UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has not started processing your application.

What supporting documents do I need to apply for a Start-Up visa?

If your documents are not in English or Welsh, you will also need to provide a certified translation.

You may need to provide additional documents if UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requests this.

You will need a blank page in your passport for your visa if you are:

  • from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
  • from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, but do not have a biometric passport with a chip in it.

Can I bring my partner and children with me to the UK on a Start-Up visa?

Yes, if they are eligible, your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours. You must provide evidence of your relationship to your dependant family members when you apply.

A dependent partner or child is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • your child under 18 – including if they were born in the UK during your stay
  • your child over 18 if they are currently in the UK as your dependant

You must be able to prove that you and your partner are either:

  • in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK.
  • you have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply.
Start-Up Visa Endorsement
Start-Up Visa Endorsement

How much does a Start-Up Visa cost?

The cost of a Start-Up Visa depends on which location you are applying from and what your situation is.

You must pay the visa fee for each person that applies at the same time as you or applies later to join you in the UK.

You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge, which you can calculate here.

Read this chart below to see what the cost of a Start-Up Visa is:

Who you are applying for

Applying from outside the UK

Applying from inside the UK (switching visas)




Your partner and children

£378 per person

£508 per person

If your child is 16 or over, they must:

  • live with you (unless they’re in full-time education at boarding school/college/university)
  • not be married, in a civil partnership or have any children
  • be financially supported by you

If your child lives with you, you’ll need to provide 2 of the following documents to confirm their address:

  • a bank statement
  • credit card bills
  • driving licence
  • NHS registration document
  • an official letter from their university/college

Financial requirements to bring a dependant partner and children to the UK on a Start-Up Visa

Your partner and children must each have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK. In addition to the £1,270 you must have to support yourself, you – or your partner or child – will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

The money must have been in your bank account or your dependant’s bank account for at least 28 days before you or they apply. You’ll usually need to show proof of this when you apply.

Visit the UK Government website to find out more about applying for a Start-Up Visa with your partner and children as your dependents.

What can I NOT do during my time in the UK on a Start-up Visa?

  • You cannot work as a doctor or dentist.
  • You cannot work as a professional sportsperson.
  • You cannot receive public funds (benefits) or the State Pension
  • You must not neglect your business and stop working on it.
  • You cannot settle in the UK on this visa.

What happens after my Start-Up Visa expires?

You cannot extend a Start-Up Visa.

But, after your 2 years are over, you can potentially transfer to an Innovator Visa using the same business idea, as long as you obtain an endorsement.

About Synergy Immigration Solutions

We are a UK immigration agency, regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). We are proud members of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association.

To find out more about Synergy Immigration Solutions and our visa servicesvisit our website here.

To contact us, call us on 020 315 05359, email or fill in our online contact form here.

Read articles on our blog here, to find the answers to frequently asked questions about topics such as spouse visas, the UK skills gap, and right to work checks.

We hope you now better understand what is meant by the term ‘Start-Up Visa Endorsement’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *